Hemp Extract (CBD) Analysis
Lime Analytical is excited to announce that a new CBD validation breakthrough method is now commercially available for the hemp industry. So if you produce hemp, this new method has positive and huge implications for your business. Keep reading to learn more.
Up until now, a majority of analytical methods that have been used for attempting to quantitate CBG, THC, CBDA, CBD, and other types of compounds have suffered from serious deficiencies caused by major regulatory problems (for example FDA warnings for inaccurate labels, etc.):
– Lack of reproducibility and extreme variability of quantitation numbers.
– From one sample to the next there is high carry-over.
– Difficulty separating THC and CBD (due to them being isobaric molecules), or difficulties separating CBG and CBD during chromatography (with peaks often co-elute).
– At the HPLC very low column life, which results in high laboratory waste.
– An inability for detecting counterfeit molecules that may co-elute with targeted analytes.
– No accuracy for ion fragmentation validation, isotopic validation, or mass validation for detecting counterfeit CBD imposter (like progesterone, for example).
– During some of the sample prep techniques, there is high analyte loss, especially those that attempt running on mass spec instrumentation (typically, single quad instruments).
Basically, the common methods that the industry uses have been demonstrated widely and shown to be hopelessly inaccurate and do not offer molecular validation in order for counterfeits to be avoided.
Industry breakthrough on LC/MS-TOF analysis is achieved by Lime Analytical with ZERO loss of any analyte during the sample preparation.
Lime Analytical, through a multi-month, dedicated R&D effort, has developed its high precision analytical method for overcoming all of the deficiencies from the earlier methods.
NOTE: Agilent Time of Flight instrumentation (MS-TOF) is used by our laboratory, which is emerging quite rapidly as the hemp industry’s breakthrough analytical system. If you want to set your own laboratory up using Agilent TOF instrumentation, give in touch with us for recommendations to ensure you receive the correct columns, correct ionization interface, quaternary pump on the LC, etc. We are happy to work with other labs who want to use Aligent hardware to reproduce our methods.
This novel method accomplishes:
– Extreme reproducibility, frequent with RSDs of under 1.5%.
– Extreme sensitivity, which offers numerous of magnitude with higher sensitivity compared to HPLC methods. (That also means for quantitation calculations there is greater integration resolution.)
– Simultaneous quantitation of THC, CBN, CBG, and CBD. Additional procedures are required by CBDA since it will denature at room temperature. Check the peaks for CBN, CBG, THC, and CBD peaks, and some peaks do overlap, but still are discriminated based on the molecular mass:
– For molecular masses, extreme mass accuracy, going out to four decimal places, which allows for very precise quantitation and isomer detection for example, not just delta-9 but quant delta-8 THC).
– During sample prep, ZERO analyte loss, due to the novel sample preparation method that requires no ISTD recovery or spiking. For recoveries, we do not need to “adjust” results, which is one of the many ways that we are able to achieve such extreme accuracy.
– Anti-counterfeit technology and multi-layered molecular validation that validates precise molecules (CBD, etc.) through accurate mass, retention time, isotopic ratio analysis, and when requested even ion fragmentation. (NOTE: HPLC methods do not even have access to ion fragmentation data, mass spectra, and accurate mass.)
Isotopic validation on molecular composition:
Confirmation of anti-counterfeit on retention time, mass, and molecular formula:
– Quintuple injection of CBD sample at various dilutions to establish linearity on response. It is another accuracy check for eliminating the possibility of lab errors during the sample prep process. That also means we run your sample FIVE times rather than just one time.
– Our laboratory is ISO 17025 accredited, which means we have international recognition from the ISO and adhere to extremely strict analytical and procedural quality control process, which includes on-site audits. We produce reports for you that the FD accepts as scientific fact.
Other benefits of using Lime Analytical for your business:
– Your hemp extract analysis is overseen personally by Garret Smith, lead scientist for developing the LC/MS-TOF method and lab science director. Smith wrote “Food Forensics” and is recognized as a leading pioneer in supplement and food testing.
– Lime Analytic is an independent “pro hemp” science laboratory with a documented and long track record supporting hemp extract medical uses, industrial hemp farming, and hemp legalization. Your sampels are very safe with an “industry friend.”
– Lime Analytical is here to assist you with keeping your CBD extracts legal and accurate. We want your business to be successful and understand that counterfeit material is one of the industry’s biggest problems. We can assist you to avoid the nightmare of getting caught selling ether counterfeit material or THC material that is still considered illegal by the DEA.
– Pricing on Lime Analytical methods is significantly higher compared to typical HPLC methods. Although you may pay only $50 for HPLC, this low price isn’t a bargain once you realize those numbers are not accurate. The CBD tests that we conduct start in the $400+ range and with volume goes down to the $200+ range. With volume discounts, Cannabinoid Testing Only begins at $75. Current customers that our tests are “worth every penny” since they are incredibly consistent and accurate.